Stay connected. Sign-up to receive the lastest training tip, newly listed dog camps, resorts and more..
Subject: Obedience Basic
Title: Why Train your Dog
I have a good dog why should I train it? or I took a puppy class that was enough?, or I adopted him he must have had a hard life. This is something I hear often and these are the people that need training the most. You may be one of these people or maybe you have taken a basic obedience class and have been taught sit, down, stay etc…, but what have you really learned?
Can you answer these questions?
• What motivates your dog?
• When you think about your dog’s behavior do you think like dog or human? (Ex: he is spiteful, she urinated in the house because she was mad, he keeps barking because he needs something, but she likes to sleep in my bed, he can’t walk on a leash I have to carry him because he just sits don and waits for me to pick him up, etc…)
• Do you know what instincts your dog has?
• Does your dog love or respect you? Maybe both
• Can you get your dogs attention anywhere?
• Are you your dog’s leader?
I love dogs and I love the people that own them for many reasons one of the biggest is that a loving caring owner truly has a dog for the right reasons. That being said I think that dog owners need to be educated on what their dog really needs. Of course they need food, water, shelter, affection, and a job, but did you know that in order for your dog to live a full and complete life they also need a leader who lays the ground rules and follows through consistently.
This is why you and your dog should train together for a life time. Training your dog does not mean your dog is the only one in training. Training is a concentrated effort by all team members to learn how a dog thinks and help you and your dog live together with you learning their language and them learning yours. Besides it's fun!!